By Labaran, G-Labaran
After a year shutdown, a major by-pass road at Inele–Ogugu in Olamaboro local government axis of Kogi state that links to southern part of the country has been reopened to traffic with fanfares .
Motorists reportedly abandoned the strategic road for over a year, and migrated to another alternative route in the area due to alleged incessant kidnapping and armed robbery incidents.
According to the Locals, the motorists’ new found route turned to a more deadly den of kidnappers, few months after migration, raising serious concern in the community, and among commuters plying the route .
However, the Commander, 12 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Lokoja reportedly reopened the route, Inele–Ugoh–Eti-Eke–Okugo–Ogugu bypass on Wednesday, in a swift response to the request of stakeholders and other interest groups.
The President of the Ogugu Community Development Union, Mr. Samuel Agada noted that the military authorities reopened the route for commuters ,and took over the security of the flank to ward off kidnappers and associated criminal activities that led to its initial shut down.
He said the decision to reopen the road has been warmly received by stakeholders and residents of the communities along the corridor, describing the development as a major relief and a boost to socio-economic activities in the area.
Equally, the President of the Inele Community Development Association,ThankGod Moses says the communities have been mobilised to support the reopening, and resolved to provide community policing support to complement the Army’s presence and efforts in the area.
The Kogi East Neighborhood Watch ( KENW), a community policing outfit described the reopening of the bypass as a significant milestone that will create respite for travellers using the route to south-South and south east region of the country.
In a statement, the KEWN’s Director, Public Communication, Wing Commander Iye Ayefu (rtd) commended the Nigerian Army for its determination to flush out kidnappers operating along the corridor and to restore confidence among travellers.
“The by-pass road is a vital link not only for local users but also for travellers accessing the South-South and South-East regions of the country.
“We commend the Commander, 12 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Lokoja, for his swift response, timely and decisive intervention”, statement read.
Meanwhile, the report from the flank noted that commuters were seen rejoicing as they resumed using the route, praising the Nigerian Army for its relentless efforts in securing communities across Kogi State.
“It had been hell navigating through the area to southern Nigeria for months. We thank men of Nigerian Army for reopening this road to traffic. Several travellers have lost their lives and huge sum of money to kidnappers enrouting this community”, said Joseph Samuel, a motorist plying the route from Port Harcourt to Abuja .